SEO is the practice of creating content designed to increase the quantity and quality of traffic to a website via organic search results and it plays a vital role in helping companies build their businesses and attract new customers. Whether you are already working in digital marketing or if you are looking to switch careers, it’s a wise move to invest the time to become an expert in SEO. At IDM USA, we offer a diploma in search engine marketing course online to help you learn all the skills you need to kick-start or develop your career. If you want to smash SEO, here’s a few tips to help you get started.
Learn How Search Engines Work
It may seem simple, you type a word or phrase into a search engine and results instantly pop up for you to click on. There’s a whole lot more to the way search engines work and to master SEO you need to learn a bit about them. Google’s index contains trillions of web pages and when you type a query into the search bar, it pulls all matching pages. As there are often millions of relevant results, Google’s algorithm then ranks them based on hundreds of factors. Nobody knows what all of these factors are or how they’re weighted, but we do know some and these are the ones you need to learn about. Keep in mind, SEO only influences organic results, it doesn’t affect paid ads.
Master The Four Main Aspects of SEO
SEO can be thought of as a giant puzzle with many pieces. To be an SEO expert, you need to understand how the pieces fit together.
The four main pieces are:
- Keyword research – this involves finding relevant words and phrases that people are typing into search engines like Google. You should target keywords that are likely to send organic traffic your way should you rank for them, are likely to attract potential customers and aren’t too competitive.
- On-page SEO – this is the practice of optimizing web pages to help improve rankings and attract more organic traffic from search engines. Examples of this include: optimizing for search intent, writing enticing meta titles and descriptions and internally linking to pages that you want to rank.
- Link building – this is the process of acquiring new backlinks from third-party websites. They help improve rankings and boost organic traffic, and can also send referral traffic to your site.
- Technical SEO – this involves optimizing your website so that search engines can crawl and index your content efficiently, and visitors have a positive user experience. Improving page speed and removing broken links (both internal and external) are examples of this.
Take A Course and Get Certified
Earning a certification ensures that you have the proper skills and knowledge to succeed and gives you credibility when you network on professional sites. If you decide to take a course, do your research to discover which one will provide you with the necessary skills you need to advance in your SEO career. There are so many general digital marketing courses that touch on SEO but many don’t go too in-depth. There are specific courses such as a diploma in search engine marketing so if you are serious about SEO, a course like that is your best bet.
Continue to Learn
Even after you finish your course and achieve your certification, learning shouldn’t stop there. SEO moves fast and is continually changing and evolving. Google makes constant changes and updates to its algorithm and while many updates a relatively minor for users, it shows how fast best practices can change. That said, it’s not practical to keep up with every tiny change Google makes, so stay focused on the fundamentals. At the end of the day, remember that the algorithm is trying provide the best and most relevant content to users. Continue learning to expand your opportunities and stay on top of valuable new strategies, you can do this by:
- Attending SEO conferences
- Connect with SEO professionals on LinkedIn
- Follow SEO experts on Twitter
- Join Facebook groups
- Read SEO blogs
- Listen to podcasts
If you want to become a master of SEO, then get in touch with IDM USA today. With a wide range of digital marketing courses on offer including the diploma in search engine marketing and flexible study options so you can learn online, we have become the leaders in online education for the digital marketing sector. Contact us today for more information.